The world of Marine insurance is a mysterious place to the uninitiated. It has all kinds of strange terminology and a language of its own, that can confuse even the most diligent of Risk or Captive managers.
The temptation to include marine exposure into property programs as a result is sometimes overwhelming. This inclusion can have significant unforeseen consequences, with, for example, such requirements as General Average, Salvage Charges payable in full or the ability to issue General average guarantees and other quirks lost in the melee.
United Marine Assistance
United Marine assists its clients getting though this maze, and also assists in putting together programs which will truly reflect the real exposures faced by the captive or risk manager. United will explain the terms where needed, and assist in putting together proper programmes.
The United marine programme was created in the mid-seventies as a facility to provide capacity to captives. Many of today’s reinsureds have been clients since that time.
United Marine Products
- United is AM Best A- rated (stable) – Established 1975
- Whether it is Cargo, Cargo Liability, Inland Marine, Blue or Brown Water Hull, P and I, Freight Forwarders, Terminal Operators, Stevedores, Port Authorities,or similar, United will help analyse the risks and liabilities, and find the right structure for our clients.
- United can put together standard Quota Share or XL reinsurances, stop losses, facultative support.
- In certain cases United is able to assist in partnering with top tier commercial marine insurance carriers in developing a captive programme issuing the insurance policy, handling claims, reinsuring to the captive etc.
United’s Marine Capacity:
- Cargo $20,000,000
- Hull $20,000,000
- Marine Liabilities $15,000,000
- Stock Throughput $3,000,000
Most programmes tend to have a recognized marine insurance provider issuing a policy of insurance to the parent organization (insured). The captive provides reinsurance to the issuing carrier and in turn purchases Quota Share or Layered reinsurance from United (and commercial markets). Those programmes with a significant retention can expect to receive a substantial credit on their excess of loss pricing.
Creativity and Flexibility: United has provided alternative risk transfer solutions to captives for over 35 years. This experience enables United to propose and structure programs that best fit the individual client based upon their risk appetite and financial mass.
- Flexibility in program structure and design
- Long term relationships stabilizes rates
- Significant limits offered on all Marine lines
- Underwriting and claims service with almost 30 years of experience